Clinical Pilates in Perth CBD
What is Clinical Pilates?
“Clinical pilates” is a modified form of therapeutic exercise used by physiotherapists to assist in the rehabilitation and prevention of musculoskeletal injury. Specialised pilates equipment such as reformers and trapeze tables may be used in addition to fit-ball and floor exercises. A major focus is placed on developing strength of “core stability” muscles such as the deep abdominal and pelvic floor muscles. This is accompanied by an emphasis on postural education and facilitating optimal biomechanics. At Central City Physiotherapy this includes:
- Individual assessment and supervision of exercises by a physiotherapist.
- Use of real-time ultrasound pictures to help train “core stability” muscles.
- Specialised pilates equipment including reformers, trapeze table, mats, springs and fit-balls.
Who Can Benefit From Clinical Pilates?
People with musculoskeletal pain or injury, especially lower back pain, sacro iliac pain and neck pain, particularly if symptoms are recurrent or chronic. Clinical Pilates has also shown to be beneficial for enhancing atheltic performance; ballet dancers, footballers and net ballers are three groups who have benefited immensely in the past.
Clinical Pilates may assist with:
- Motor control problems
- Post surgical strengthening
- Pre-natal and post-natal women
- Increase pelvic floor strength/control
- Prevention and relief of lower back and pelvic pain
- Body reshaping, toning and flexibility
- Postural problems
- Strength, stability and balance
HOW DOES CLINICAL PILATES DIFFER FROM GYM PILATES?
Clients are individually assessed by one of our experienced physiotherapists and given exercises that target their specific problem areas. Close supervision of technique and graded exercises ensure safety and injury prevention for client. Real time ultrasound feedback may be used to assist training of “core stability” muscles. Most health funds recognise “clinical pilates” as a physiotherapy intervention and so rebates may apply.
Contact us today to get started.